Sunday, December 20, 2020

Imma bout to drop some fresh cartography on ya



This is the Spanish Main, what pirates and the colonial empires they resisted called the Caribbean. It's period-specific to the colonial era, but only in broad terms; possession of the islands went back and forth between the various powers.

I drew it last year here in Omaha, when I was putting together the resources to go out to Nevada, and wanted to be productive. Particularly, I wanted to be productive in between turns of Civilization VI, which is what my brother and I play these days for fun. I have a Youtube channel that focuses on history and that I do my best to keep safe for apolitical normies, and I like to make my own maps for those. I've got an idea for an upcoming video about the history of piracy, and a map like this might come in rather handy for such a video. But I've got a lot of other projects I need to finish before I even think about firing up this channel.

Making the single full-length video I did for that channel, which sort of sums up the conclusion to the thesis I never finished, was enough of a to-do, and I had it better planned out when I was living in Florida. The upcoming video about piracy was mostly to take advantage of the fact that what became Tampa was Captain Kidd's backyard. But I'll still make it eventually anyway - I have pirate Legos to make stop-motion animation, clothing I could dress up in to look a bit more piratey, and if I really felt like it I could probably go back to visit long enough to shoot the video, and maybe shoot an entire American Civil War series along the way, stopping at every battlefield I could think of.




Your ad could be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and arrogant posts get deleted. Keep it comradely, keep it useful. Comments on week-old posts must be approved.