Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas! I got you some old music and a new bookshelf entry.

Merry Christmas, to those of you who celebrate! (And Happy Holidays to those of you who do not!) I hope it's spent in relative happiness around friends and/or family, and that it's a season of spiritual renewal for you.

I was given an idea for a new essay last weekend, and have spent all week writing and then marking it up for the internet. It's ready to go, and it's about our modern music subcultures, and I call it Millions of Red Bops.

In the course of finding relevant videos to deck the essay with, I found this little gem of footage of me covering two old Christmas songs from the Middle Ages. I didn't have anything else ready to go for a blog post, so it's there to the side. Audio quality isn't great, it was recorded in the early 2010s, but I kinda dig it. I chose to cover "The Seven Rejoices of Mary" and "Veni Veni Emmanuel" because those songs have some real meaning behind them. They aren't materialistic Christmas songs from the Boomer era, but were written and sung by people who believed and hoped earnestly in the teachings of their faith. There's a richness of spirit, an organicness to them that you just don't get from modern capitalist carols.




Your ad could be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and arrogant posts get deleted. Keep it comradely, keep it useful. Comments on week-old posts must be approved.